Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Adventures of Potty Training: Entry 4

Potty Training is going REALLY GOOD! I am so proud of Ian! He had NO accidents today! We even went out of the house again for awhile to the bank, and to Meijer! We just followed the plan I had wrote about last night. We put undies on him in the morning, and took him to the bathroom probably about every 1 1/2 to almost 2 hours today. Sometimes it was a little sooner...like after meals or snacks. Other times it was a little later...like when we were out running errands today. But he is doing FANTASTIC! I have really had no big horrible messes to clean up like the BIG HORROR NIGHTMARES that have been in my head associated with potty training! I feel so blessed that he has been so good with!

I have a couple of funny stories to share about potty training today though. The first happened this morning. When Ian woke up we came downstairs for breakfast right away, and he climbed in his chair. All of a sudden he said, "Mommy, I need to go pee!" HOORAY I thought, "Is he going to start telling me today when he has to go?!" So, we went into the bathroom, and took his diaper off, and set him on the potty. He tried to go pee, but couldn't and said, "The pee is all gone." I noticed that his diaper was full, so I asked him if he already went. He said yes. So, I told him that we would get him some Dino undies for the day and he could try again after breakfast. I went upstairs, got his undies, and since I was already upstairs decided to just grab the boy's clothes for the day, so it was a few minutes that I was up there. Well, as I was coming back down the stairs Ian yells, "Mommy, I went poop!" I was kind of scared because I could tell he wasn't yelling from the bathroom, but in the kitchen. So I bolted down the stairs, expecting to find a HUGE mess, but instead I went into the bathroom and Ian was flushing the toilet! Then he said to me, "Mommy, I went poop and I wiped my bottom." I was in shock and disbelief! It did smell like poo in the bathroom. And sorry this may be to much yucky detail...but there was a little poo and toilet paper evidence left on his bum. Soooo.... I think Ian even went poop on his own today! Even if he didn't go alot, at least it's a step in the right direction!

Here's our second funny story of the day:

Today while we were out at Meijer, I realized it had been a little while since Ian had used the potty. I asked him if he needed to go, and he said yes! So, we went into the bathrooms located at the back of the store. I'm not a big fan of public restrooms, but I figured I would rather take my kid into one than him have an accident. Especially when he has had such success already! So, we went into the bathroom. That's when I realized I left the house unprepared! When I took a look at this BIG toilet with no little potty ring, my thought was, "How is he supposed to go on that?!" So, I asked him if wanted to be a big boy like daddy and stand up to go pee. He said yes, and he tried to go standing up. Nothing came out though, and I think he felt a little uncomfortable trying that way. Then I thought, maybe I could help hold him over the toilet bowl. Well, we tried that way too, and no luck. I told him then that we were almost done at Meijer and asked if he wanted to try again when we got home. I reminded him not to go pee in his underwear because we didn't want to get them wet, and he said OK. We then finished our shopping at Meijer and went home. When we got there I went in and put him on the potty right away, but however I myself REALLY had to go too! So I left Ian again on the potty, and went to use the bathroom upstairs. Well, as I am washing my hands, once again I hear Ian yell. But this time it was, "Mommy, I fell in the toilet!" WHAT?!?! I bolted downstairs again and here is Ian standing with his little potty seat off the toilet, the real seat of the toilet lifted up, and him standing there with a wet bum and the lower part of the back of his shirt wet!

HOW DID HE FALL INTO THE TOILET?

Here's our dialogue: Me, "You fell into the toilet?" Ian, "Yes." Me, "How did you fall into the toilet?" Ian, " I was just putting the lid up and trying to go like daddy and I fell in." Hmmmm. I'm not sure what exactly happened! I'm figuring he for some reason decided he wanted to try to use the potty again like daddy, like he did at Meijer earlier, and when that didn't work, maybe he tried to sit over the toilet bowl again, and without any help fell in! Poor Kid! I felt bad for him, although, I couldn't then or now help laughing because this mental picture keeps popping up in my head of Ian trying to hover over the toilet and falling in! I know, I'm awful for laughing at my kids, but sometimes I just can't help it!

As a result of these stories here's what I learned today: If I'm leaving the house don't forget to take Ian's little potty seat ring with us in case he needs to go somewhere where there isn't one! Also, I am going to at some point have to train Ian to stand up and go pee in the toilet! YIKES! I have NO clue how to do this! I've heard of one idea, such as putting a cheerio in the toilet and having your little boy try to "Aim" at hitting it. So, my question for the day... Anyone heard of a good way to try to train little boys to pee standing up?


Also, Ian has completely filled up his potty chart with stickers and we had to make him a new one. Here's a cute picture of him with his chart!

We are so PROUD of him! CONGRATULATIONS Ian for being such a big boy and going pee on the potty!

PS. You will note, on the bottom of the chart that it says, 5 stickers= DVD. We actually made this chart with him a few days before I "officially" started to train him. We would occasionally take him to the bathroom to see if he had to go, but he was still in underwear. If he went he got a sticker, we thought it would take him along time to get 5 stickers! So we told him that if he got 5 stickers he could go to the movie store and pick out a movie. Well, he earned one movie, and then I decided to start the training. So then he's been earning them so fast it would be crazy to let him get a movie for every 5. Ian hasn't really noticed, or said anything about it. So, we didn't put that on the new potty chart we made today.

No comments: