
Today was our 2nd day of potty training! And I have to say I think it went pretty well. We didn't completely stick to my original plan for the day, so here's a run down of how it went. We put Ian in his T-Rex undies today after breakfast when we were getting dressed for the day. We had him sit on the potty first to go pee, and of course he went right away! He got a dinosaur sticker for his chart, and then he's been really excited about setting the timer on the microwave, so I let him go and push the buttons to set it for 60 minutes. We continued on with success throughout the morning. Then at mid morning we had snack, which before hand, he went potty. Then I had him set the timer again for 60 minutes. But unfortunately at 55 minutes, Ian called out, "MOMMY MY DINOSAUR UNDERWEAR IS WET!" I felt so bad for him! He was SO sad! I went to him and asked if he had an accident. To which he replied, "The timer didn't go off!" I tried to explain to him that even if the timer hasn't gone off and he has to go potty that he needs to come and tell me so that he stays dry. I took him into the bathroom, cleaned him up and sat him on the potty to see if he needed to go anymore, which he didn't.
After our morning accident I realized that I had given him a completely FULL sippy cup of water, and discovered it 3/4 gone! OOPS! I totally should have realized with him drinking so much that he would need to go sooner. I felt horrible. He has done great though the rest of the day! That was our one and only accident. We still continued to set the timer for him, however since it was a pretty warm day here and he was drinking alot of liquids we stayed at going potty around every 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Also, there has still been no luck with going poop. He hasn't acted like he's needed to go poo, but I'm really nervous for when the time comes that he does! It's normal for him to only go every few days. I'm just worried that he won't tell me when he needs to go and it will be a HUGE mess, literally! You can't exactly set a timer for going poo! I actually made him sit on the potty today for about 10 minutes and try to go. He called me a MONSTER! And told me I was making him sad! WOW! I let him off the potty after that. I really don't want this to turn negative. I'm happy that he is at least going pee, is excited to try going, and likes to get his dinosaur stickers for a reward.
In conclusion, it was a pretty good day. At only one accident for 2 days worth of undie wearing, I'll consider myself lucky. Our plan for tomorrow: Undies in the morning again, and try to see how much further apart we can get him to successfully go on the potty. My question to all mom's out there...How often does a kid normally go pee? I guess I wasn't very good at keeping track of the time length Ian stayed dried. Except...the night before I decided to start potty training him, I did realize that he was dry still after 3 hours! However, I don't know if this was normal or not!
3 comments:
yay! i'm so glad that things are going so good!
Two bits of advice, you can use or ignore... 1. apple juice... it helps make sure they don't get constipated while they hold in their poo.(and might even help him go) 2. I've noticed Emily needs to go potty closer to 15 minutes after she has a meal/snack. So you might want to try way sooner after eating/drinking.
and emily normally goes every two hours or so.. (i think)
I am so happy that you are blogging about your potty training ventures. It is giving me good insight on what is to come with Rachel. Keep going! You are doing great!
It is actually better for a person's health to have regular bowel habits, not to mention making that aspect of potty-training that much easier. So if Ian is not already "regular" this is a good time to establish this habit. A big help to accomplish this is a warm, high-fiber breakfast. Oatmeal with raisins is a good choice if he likes it. Often a little one who is anxious to do well in his potty-training will make himself constipated by NOT allowing himself to go because he doesn't know what to do (even though you have tried to explain it) and/or he is a little frightened of the sensation. Obviously that method will not work forever and is unhealthy. An additional problem with constipation is that when he finally does go, it will most likely be very difficult or hurt, thus making the whole experience negative. One of my kids absolutely would not go BM in the toilet even after she had been trained for some weeks. She was also a picky eater and wouldn't touch oatmeal or raisins. Finally I solved the problem by giving her a prune juice float every morning at the same time; it was about a half a cup of prune juice with a samll scoop of vanilla ice cream and a straw. She was completely trained in less than a week. It is amazing how well little Ian is doing. Congratulations! BTW, I am Sean's Aunt Marlyce. So happy to have found your blog.
Post a Comment